Monday, September 3, 2007

For Grandma Lela

This shot is an answered prayer for one special woman affectionately known in Odessa as Grandma Lela. Lela Steel has been a missionary to Odessa's orphans for ten years. For hundreds of these forgotten kids, the only time they've ever heard the words "I love you" came from Lela. She also never fails to let them know that they are loved by Jesus and indeed God has worked through Grandma Lela to convert dozens of orphans to faith in Christ. But our daughter Galyna never responded to Lela's attempts to reach out. Galyna was reportedly rude to her on many occasions. Of course that never stopped Grandma Lela from praying for her and I wanted her to see this picture of Galyna studying her Bible. She recently told me that "Bible" was her favorite class at school. The seeds that Grandma Lela planted years ago are beginning to take root.

We love you Grandma Lela, and thank God for your service in the name of Christ.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I'll second that amen! God bless Babushka Lela and her witness in a place of darkness. Its a blessing to see the seeds of promise start to bloom in your daughter. I will be looking for the same flowers when mine comes home!

Ashley said...

Yes, thank God for Babushka Lela! She is such a blessing to so many and she touches the lives of everyone she meets. Our son, Grisha just adores her and he loves his Babushka Lela! Grisha loves Jesus so much and I know she had a HUGE part in that. I thank God for the seeds she is planting in his life before he comes home to us. This is a wonderful picture of your daughter and I am so glad that she is studying the word of God and she is INTERESTED in it! Praise God!

HeritageOdessa said...

What a beautiful and meaningful picture! I love it! Please give the girls a hug for me. I love to see Galya studying the Word of God. It mad Babushka lela's day! Thank you for sharing!
Alyona