Monday, October 8, 2007

Happy Birthday Galyna!


It's so hard to believe that it's been almost two years since little Galyna first came to visit us for Christmas in 2005. She was teeny-tiny, and looked like she was perhaps eight or nine years old. This weekend, we celebrated her 14th birthday! She is a beautiful girl who loves life and has embraced her new country. Before the party she asked me not to speak any Russian as she now wants her identity to be American. We've been home less than three months and this young lady is thriving.


I've never seen a child who loves animals more than Galyna. She's been asking for a dog since day one, but we let her know early on that adding a dog to the mix would just be too much for our family right now. So......

Hello rats!!! One of Galyna's teachers gave a hearty endorsement to pet rats and I was surprised to learn from pet store employees that rats make great pets. They are the most intelligent of all small pets and easy to take care of. Did you know that rats can learn tricks and even remember their names? Galyna was ecstatic! She named her new pets Ashley and Gabriella.

Seven of her classmates helped her celebrate her first American birthday and they had a blast!

Ellen kept us laughing all night long!

Jailene and Anna provided impromptu song and dance
Galyna won't forget this Birthday!

We are so grateful for the kind of young women who've befriended our daughters. Katrina and Margaret helped make this a very special weekend.

Cate is hilarious and quite talented as she writes and sings her own songs!

Galyna doing some High School Musical moves

Our 14 year old daughter with Chris and Deborah Winans.
Happy Birthday sweetheart...We love you!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Wait, did you say rats??? Ugh! Happy birthday, Galyna!

Nataliya said...

Happy Birthday, Galochka!!! Pust' ispolniatcia vce tvoi zhelaniya! Bud' zdoroven'koi, krasivoi i schastlivoi! I wish you all the best!

John said...

I am glad you've continued to update the blog even after you've "gotten the girls." It's been fun to follow your family's progress, even as it has grown to include rats.

Speaking of which, my beloved 12-year-old Annie has long lobbied me for pet rats. She loves 'em!

Of course, Annie's a cat.

Gina said...

Wow what a blessing to see your wonderful family and read of your experiences (I'm a visitor via Fr. Stephen Freeman's blog). I'm newly married, at an age when I have to consider I might not be able to conceive naturally, and have thought that if we can't, we would do something like you've done. Your posts are an inspiration.

And I can confirm that rats make wonderful pets! I worked at a pet store and would regularly play with the hamsters, rabbits, mice etc. but the rats were always the best. Smart and calm (not trying to squirm all over the place) and not nearly as smelly as mice. The tail just takes a little getting used to!

Debora Hoffmann said...

Jim and Dana, thank you for sharing your lovely family with us! My husband and I are praying that we can start the adoption process next year. I'm ready to jump on a plane right now and bring home armsful of kids! Happy birthday to your kids. And I'll try to forget about the rats. ;-)

From Colorado,
Debbie