Friday, November 9, 2007

Book Recommendations

"If you don't read good books, you will read bad ones."
-C.S. Lewis

I finished reading Nicholas and Alexandra several days ago and haven't stopped thinking about it. Much of my reading is devoted to biography and history and this extraordinary story of Russia's last Tsar, World War I, and the Russian Revolution, has to be the finest book in this category I've ever read. It is also one of Dana's favorites, and she rarely reads history.

I studied about the Soviet Union before we adopted Christian from Russia, so I've always been intrigued by its fascinating history, but this book put things in perspective better than anything I've come across.

Robert Massie writes with great respect for the Russian people and with all the flair of a great novelist. I don't think I've ever responded to a book so emotionally as he describes the tragedy surrounding the Romanovs and Russia's descent into the bloodbath of the 20th Century. His prose is plain, but beautiful and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

I also highly recommend his Pulitzer Prize winning biography of Peter The Great. Even if you are strictly a fiction reader, don't hesitate to check out either of these incredible books. The stories are better than any novelist could dare to imagine. Nothing comes close to the real-life drama of Russian history.

Both of these books are fast paced, supreme reading experiences which will help you better understand the tumultous part of the world where our adopted children are from.

5 comments:

Nataliya said...

Oh, thank you very much! I'll definitely check out these books. I'm strictly a fiction reader, but I think I'll enjoy these books. The version of history I was taught growing up in Soviet Union was not very truthful, so it will be a good idea to find out what really happened during Russian Revolution.

Leslie said...

Great recommendations, Jim! I've been wanting to read someting but wasn't sure where to start.

Debora Hoffmann said...

Nicholas and Alexandra is a book that started my interest in Russia and the surrounding countries! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Massey has a follow-up book to that one called The Romanovs: The Final Chapter. Fascinating!

adopting2fromUkraine said...

I have Nicholas and Alexandra. I just may take it to Ukraine to read since I never have time now to just sit and do that.

Anonymous said...

Hi dad. Thank you for waching with me movie. I liked this movie Nicholas and Alexandra.

Love you.