Monday, March 3, 2008

Gittin Sum Culture

I often say that I grew up on the redneck side of a redneck city. But this Houston, Texas native has been trying get some culture lately. One of the things all of our adopted children can be proud of is the rich artistic heritage of Russia and Ukraine.

Thus, I forked out $120 to buy tickets to take my lovely daughters to the Virginia Opera's first-ever production of a Russian Opera. Tchaikovsky's Eugene Onegin was spectacular, at least to my untrained eyes and ears.

But the enduring memory for me will undoubtedly will be the observation made by Galyna during intermission. "So, how do you like the opera?" I asked. "It's okay," shrugged Galyna, "but I don't like all the singing."

That quote goes down in the Hall of Fame category. Other adoptive parents know what I mean!

Not to be deterred by my quest to bring high culture into our home, Nastia began her piano lessons with Olga, a lovely Russian woman who hails from Nizhyni Novgorod and moved to Richmond last summer to live with her daughter and grandchildren. Olga was all business in introducing Nastia to her new hobby. Nastia is a very hard worker and I've got a feeling that she is beginning something very special.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

Okay, now I feel less than cultured for taking my girls to see Hannah Montana! What a great thing you're doing with the girls. Keep us posted on A's piano lessons!

Annie said...

How nice! My children have really benefitted (and so have we) from connections with Russian people in our community.... Good luck with your lessons, Nastia! (I wish I spelled my Nastya's name that way.)

Ashley said...

That is exciting that Anastasia is getting lessons from a Russian lady. She will do well and this is very good for her.

Hopefully, Galyna appreciated what you did for her and Nastia. That was good for them and I am glad you took them to the opera.

HeritageOdessa said...

Anastasia!!!! Do you enjoy your lessons???? Oh, it is my dream! I wish I had that opportunity!!!!!
Love you!
Alyo and Slavka

Natalie said...

Hey thanks for posting!!! (ha ha ha)How are Nastia's lessons coming? I wish my mom made me take piano when i was a kid! Now i don't have time! She'll thank you for this one of these days!
About the opera:
did you tell the girls what to
expect or did Galya just not
like the singers?

junglemama said...

How great! I'm sure she will learn fast! Can't believe what a great teacher you found!

Nataliya said...

Oh, I loved Galina's reply :) Of course it's hard to like the opera when you are a teenager!

Great to hear Nastia is playing piano. It's a must in our household as well. Alex was taking lessons for 9 years (with the Russian teacher as well!), and I'll probably start Rachel and Victoria this fall.

Debora Hoffmann said...

I love the photo of Nastia with Olga the piano teacher. It brings back memories of my own piano lessons, though my teacher wasn't a Russian lady. :-) Garth has been very interested in learning to play the piano lately...but he doesn't have much time for it! Someday, maybe. (I would like to relearn, myself!) And I think he should pick his guitar back up again. I love having music in the house!