Thursday, July 12, 2007

Despair and Hope

As of Thursday morning, two of the three "problems" have been resolved. If the other issue is taken care of by the end of the day, we're outta here tomorrow! But it wouldn't be Ukraine it the drama didn't come down to the wire, so it will be several hours before I know what will happen.

Wednesday in Kyiv was definitely a rock bottom experience as none of the "problems" had been resolved be the end of the day, and I discovered that if we can't leave Friday, the next available flight is not until Tuesday!

Adding to the frustration of all this is the very difficult behavior of the girls, who have decided to resist all my attempts to engage them or teach them anything. I find myself doing alot of projecting about how much worse it will get and wondering if I have the energy and grace to weather the gathering storm.

I went for a long walk last night, stopping along the way to attend an Orthodox Vespers service at St. Mikhail's Monastery. I have no idea what they are chanting or singing, but this is an amazing place to go and pray. Once you enter the stunningly beautiful cathedral, all outside noise and motion come to a halt. The choir sings from a concealed loft and sounds as if the voices come right from heaven. Of course the real trick is to turn off all the clutter in your mind, and after attending these services daily, I'm getting much better at it.

Afterwards, I walked down to Independence Square. This is one of the most beautiful public squares I've ever seen, and thousands of people come out in the evening to socialize. But what struck me was how many of them were just standing around apparently getting drunk. Everywhere I turned were groups of teenagers and young adults hanging out drinking beer or wine coolers and chain smoking. I felt as if I had descended into the valley of dry bones and it was terribly depresssing to take it all in, as I desperately wanted someone to talk to and confide my own troubles in.

I even began to get angry as I wondered about how many of these youngsters will soon become the biological parents of orphan children. Alcholism contributes to a large percentage of the apalling number of orphans (our girls' mother died of alcoholism) in Ukraine and if you talk to locals, everyone acknowledges the problem. Yet it's hard to find anyone walking around after five o'clock who doesn't have a bottle of beer in their hand. This country has the worse negative population growth in all of Europe and after you've been here a while, the reason is evident.

As I've discovered in the wreckage of my own life, the only hope is through surrender to God. Sunday night in Kyiv's Olympic Stadium, I sat stunned as I saw thousands of Ukrainains confess their sin and surrender to the cross of Christ. Franklin Graham's "Festival of Hope" crusade could not come at a better time as this nation stands at a crossroads.

I had seen these kind of events growing up watching Billy Graham, and it was incredible to actually be present at one. You might say Franklin is more hard core than his father. But in the introductory video, he makes clear that he once lived a life of self indulgence, abusing drugs and alcohol. So Franklin's conviction of sin comes through loud and clear. In a brief message, he directly addressed the social ills that plague this country: alcoholism, drug addiction, sexual immorality leading to an epidemic of HIV/AIDS and other skyrocketing STD's. He spoke about guilt and shame as a man who knew it all too well. This is the insanity of addiction when one has to keep going back to the drug to be relieved from all the guilt and shame. Indeed, the drug of choice becomes God. This is what G.K. Chesterton meant when he said, "Every man knocking on the door of a brothel is looking for God."

But of course the gospel is "good news" and Graham made clear that no matter what kind of lifestyle you've led, the offer of full and free forgiveness is there to those willing to do a U-turn. The scope of that promise is universal and none are exluded. Yes, we are much more sinful and guilty than we are willing to admit, but we are also much more forgiven and affirmed in our salvation than we could ever know! It is amazing what happens when people hear a simple, sincere explanation of the gospel. As Jesus said, "repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations."

The Ukrainians in that stadium responded by the thousands. I don't know how many came forward, but it was astonishing, and Graham did not have to ask more than once if they wanted to be forgiven.

Does this not blow you away? Witnessing elderly Babushkas walking down to that field is one of the most inspirational things I've ever seen.

Graham made a special appeal to the members of the Ukranian Army and they came en masse. As I saw them pouring down the aisles I was overcome with emotion. I've been in this country for nearly two months and have come to love these people.

What an incredible thing for our girls to have the opportunity to hear the gospel in their own language, presented in such a beautiful, sincere and powerful way. I've been critical and often sneering of the kind of revival events, but as I watched my 16 year old daughter reading a one-page summary of the plan of salvation, all I could think was how miraculous the timing of this was for our family. Thank God for Franklin Graham and all those who brought great Glory to God for bringing the Festival of Hope to Ukraine.



My prayer is that a day will soon come when Ukrainians will be able to take care of their own children. Please pray for all of us who have been led here to adopt these hurting children, and for healing for this beautiful and stricken nation.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This is amazing! I am so glad your daughters were able to hear this message in their own language! I am sure all of you really needed this during this time and God certainly showed up! Praise God that these Ukrainians heard the gospel and that many of them receieved Christ! HALELUJAH! Thank you for sharing this with us.