Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Myth Of Safety and Security

"Our basis for trust is not in safety."

Dr. Jennifer Myhre

The Mhyre family in Bundibugyo, Uganda

I have begun a correspondence with a prospective parent, who is considering adopting an older child from Ukraine. She says, "I find I'm so selfish and want things my own, comfortable way."

Her admission is one most all of us can relate to, and addresses an issue that many Christians are coming to terms with. Why aren't Bible believing Christians doing more for God's most neglected children? This was brought home to me recently when our family attended a concert by Matthew Smith, the young Nashville-based singer/songwriter who is helping produce the amazing Indelible Grace albums.

Smith made a pitch for Compassion International, appealing to a crowd of around 500 to support a vital mission work that sponsors poverty stricken children. The cost is $32 per month and he noted that for most of us that could be accomplished by switching from latte to drip coffee!

A grand total of two people stepped forward to help, and the Compassion volunteer said that two was typical for an event this size. Their booth was set up right next to the CD and T-shirt booth, where hundreds of dollars worth of merchandise was being sold to Christians waiting in long lines.

I am in no position to judge, as I am as selfish as they come. I could sponsor several children monthly on my amazon.com and Starbucks habit alone! But I had to write something because I believe the Holy Spirit has been convicting me in profound ways recently.

Actually, it started two-and-a-half years ago when I attended a Mercy Ministries conference of our denomination. I raised my hand to question a speaker who was talking about inner city ministry. I agreed that it was an admirable thing to actually live in the city and minister relationally to the poor, but confessed that the safety of my family would prevent me from doing it right now.

His answer haunts me to this day: "Our job is not to protect our children. Our job is raise them in the admonition of Christ."

I am stunned by the courage I see from some Christians who are doing exactly that. I came across some of them in Ukraine, and today in church, we learned of a married missionary couple that is facing a terrible trial in a small Ugandan village where a deadly outbreak of the E-Bola virus has already claimed 26 lives.

Burying the dead in Uganda

Most of the mission team has been evacuated, but several members of the medical staff have remained and are currently treating infected patients. Scott and Jennifer Myhre, both doctors and the team's leaders, just sent their four children away, but they have decided to risk their lives by staying to treat and minister to those clinging to life.

In the Myhre's blog, Jennifer observes that "our basis for trust in not in safety." But as our pastor pointed out today, safety takes precedence in most of our lives. If you want to have this view challenged radically, John Piper's book Don't Waste Your Life is a very dangerous read. About safety and the Christian life, Piper notes:

"The way I hope to explode the myth of safety and to disenchant you with the mirage of security is simply to go to the Bible and show that it is right to risk for the cause of Christ, and not to is to waste your life."

Until the late 19th century, evangelical Christians led the way in reaching out to the poor, and Piper is one of a growing number of Christ-centered pastors who are challenging the evangelical church to reclaim the Micah mandate to "Do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with God."

The revelation of the prophet Ezekiel regarding the reason for the destruction of the sinful city of Sodom came as a surprise for me. No, sexual sin was not the primary problem:

"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. (Ezekiel 16:49)."

Part of me is satisfied that I've done my part. We've adopted two teenage girls, and are praised frequently for having done so. But the truth is I can not say that we are living sacrificially. We still have "excess of food and prosperous ease" compared to the way 99 percent of the world lives.

I don't know where the Holy Spirit is leading me and my family. But I do know that I do not have to fear my earthly destination, no matter where it may lead. This is a good time of year to rest in the fact that wherever we are going, Jesus has gone before us.


5 comments:

Jeremy Ruch said...

Thanks for posting this, Jim. It serves as a reminder in that our safety is not guaranteed here on earth, especially as Christians - but it also serves as an encouragement in that we know our final destination is infinite glory with the Savior. I pray that that would encourage us to live our lives boldly and unashamedly for the sake of others coming to know Christ.

Leslie said...

Jim-
I have to admit I've come back to this post and re-read it severel times in the last few days. Not because I disagree with what you're saying, but because the directive is speaking to me in an urgent and frightening way. I'm off to dig through my husband's library for the Piper book you mentioned.

dr. david said...

I have been following your blog for some time now. My husband and I are in the process of adopting two teen age girls from internot 4. You continue to inspire and humble me. Today I have to comment with AMEN! I hate to hear what you say but I love it at the same time and I have to go back on my knees. Thanks for speaking the truth again into my life.
Cindie Wolff

dr. david said...

I have been following your blog for some time now. My husband and I are in the process of adopting two teen age girls from internot 4. You continue to inspire and humble me. Today I have to comment with AMEN! I hate to hear what you say but I love it at the same time and I have to go back on my knees. Thanks for speaking the truth again into my life.
Cindie Wolff

Unknown said...

I have been reading through your blog and have almost stopped to comment a few times but this post really spoke to me. I just returned from a short term mission trip to an Orthodox Christian Orphanage in Guatemala City. In speaking to the Priest leading the trip I admitted that I love this work but I worry if I am brave enough to change my life so drastically. He told me it is not about courage- it is about trusting God's Will... Lord Have Mercy.