Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Vika Comes Home!

Vika has a family! This shot with our Anastasia was taken Monday night, just an hour or so after Vika made her triumphant arrival at Washington Dulles Airport. Vika had been to America on two Frontier Horizon hosting trips in recent years, but she had aged out of the orphanage and was too old to be adopted. The odds of her ever being able to get a visa to study English were not good, but thanks to the relentless efforts of Frontier Horizon, and Vika's new family, her Christmas wish has come true!

Vika and her new mom (for all practical purposes). Ann is a wonderful lady, who I began corresponding with via email two years ago, as we both prepared to host orphans from Ukraine. She and her husband have four children already (one adopted from Ukraine), so Vika joins a very big family with a very big heart. She will attend community college ESL courses two days per week, and spend time with Ann at her veterinarian office the rest of the time. So, she will be learning some very valuable skills while learning English. What a joyful Christmas story this is!

This is also a good opportunity to mention what a special person Ann has been to our family. While we were exchanging emails two years ago, I mentioned to her how much I was struggling with the heartbreaking reality that it was time to say goodbye to our beloved, 14 year old Golden Retriever. Reilly's hips were shot, he was having seizures, and I was nursing him around the clock. I knew it was past time to put him down, but just did not have the courage to do it. Ann revealed to me that she was a vet. She explained what he was going through, and it was her loving encouragement that finally gave me the strength to give him a peaceful, gentle, and merciful end.
So, welcome Vika, and God Bless you Ann!

2 comments:

Debora Hoffmann said...

Hooray! What a blessing that God has made it possible for Vika to come to the States and live with Ann and her family. Wow!!

Ashley said...

Jim, I am so excited about Vika! I have tried asking everyone how to bring a child over here that has aged out! There is a boy Dima that I write to that I love very much. They wouldn't let us adopt him because of the 15 year difference age rule (we are too young). We prayed and prayed for a family. Finally, a family decided to adopt and then backed out at the last minute leaving him now over the age limit. We still continue to write each other. He writes me very long letters and we have really bonded. I love Dima so much and we would love to bring him here someday if that is possible. Do you know about any of the process of getting a visa for a teen to come over? Thanks for any help you can give me.

I am glad Ann was able to help you with Reilly. We have a golden retreiver who looks EXACTLY like your Reilly. JC's parents got her in England when they were missionaries there so she is an English golden. She has the same coloring as Reilly. Many of the ones I see here are the darker colors, but yours looks just like Jasper. She is 12 years old now and she also has bad hips. She has been doing much better and still plays a lot. I know it was hard for you and your family. I am sorry and I also apologize for writing so much. You probably didn't want me to keep bringing back memories.