Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Proud To Be An American?

My daughter had just received her Certificate of U.S. Citizenship, and as we walked down the sidewalk to take this historic photo, I wanted to get a sense of whether she was feeling the magnitude of the moment:

Dad: So, how does it feel to be an American?

Daughter: Okay, but I'm cold....

Dad: Do you see those people (immigrants standing in long line)? They are spending every penny they have to try to get permission to just work in America. Do you know what it means to live in the greatest country in the world?

Daughter: I'm cold.....


Perhaps a visit to the White House would stir up some excitement? I told her that she would remember this day as being special when she brought her grandkids to the same spot fifty years from now. She did manage a smile when I took her picture, but it never ceases to amaze me how ungrateful my daughters can be. From what I've heard from other parents, this is very common. They just don't get it....yet.

Little does she know that her tour of battlegrounds, museums and other historic sites is just beginning! Later on I'll tell her about our family's heroes who fought in all of our nation's conflicts to preserve the way of life she now enjoys.

I hope that some day she will appreciate the fact that her cousin was the first man to make it over the bluffs at Omaha Beach on D-Day, and that her country is the world's oldest democracy, where the principle of personal freedom and individual responsibility still makes America the beacon of hope for millions. If Anastasia wants to, she can walk right up to the gate of the White House and peacefully protest, as thousands of Americans do every year (as compared to Russia).
So, let me say it for her, and for the thousands of other internationally adopted children who now call America home:


GOD BLESS AMERICA!

7 comments:

Debora Hoffmann said...

I know that I, as a young teen, didn't fully appreciate all the historic sites my family visited back East. I now wish I had been paying more attention! I'm excited that Anastasia is an American citizen now. Hooray!

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

Amen! I wanted to stand up and salute, but I'm sitting in an internet cafe in Kiev and I thought that would look funny. They'll get it . . .one day.

Kathy and Matt said...

Congrats to all of you on this great occasion!

Frankly, having grown up in this great country, I didn't "get it" when I was a teen. But she will eventually.

Good for you for making more of an event of it to creat some memories.

Nataliya said...

Congratulations, Anastasia! Don't worry, she'll appreciate it later, that's for sure!

I remember the day when Oleg and I got our American Citizenship, it was a truly special day for us. Though we were much older than Nastya, so we were able to appreciate it!

Ashley said...

Yes, she will appreciate it one day. I love the pictures. I am glad you took them so she can remember this moment and hopefully cherish it one day.

Brian, Pamela, Angelina said...

I was born smack in the middle of america - Washington, Iowa and have traveled all over the world. I did not visit Washington, D.C. until I was 35 years old (2005). As I walked around the capital area and visited the White House I absolutely felt ashamed that I had not visited my country's capital earlier. The history of our country and the pride that accompanies that is something that so many american's take for granted. It was not until I began living abroad that you begin to recognize this within yourself. Whether your daughter realizes the magnitude of the moments captured in these photographs next week or 25 years from now the important thing is you have shown her the path - that at some point will never be lost on her. God bless your family and Merry Christmas