Saturday, December 29, 2007

Should Santa Get The Boot?

Santa Claus came to our house this year, or at least that's what we told our youngest. Is there a problem with this? Christian writer Frederica Mathewes-Green says it's a big problem and that we should give him the boot!

First, it's a big fat lie. What kind of an example are you setting here? How stupid are your kids going to feel when they realize they fell for this? What else of what you taught them are they going to doubt? Your kids should know that your word is always good and that they can rely on it without question every day of their lives.

Second, the Santa myth teaches kids ingratitude. You want your older children never to acknowledge your gifts? Enjoy the idea of never getting a thank-you note or any thoughtfulness in return? Santa-talk is a good way to start them on that path. They learn that goodies just magically appear and don't cost anybody anything. Their role in life is just to open packages and enjoy.

It also teaches greed. We may say piously that we want our children to develop just and generous virtues, but filling them with images of a toy-wielding potentate with a lifetime pass on eToys will knock all that flatter than Kansas.

Read the entire column here.

As much as we focused on the "true meaning of Christmas" this year, I'm sure my six year old son was much more impressed by Santa than the incarnation. I don't want to deprive him of these cherished childhood memories, but I'm inclined to rethink Santa in the years ahead.

What do you think?

6 comments:

rsbuck said...

Just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading your blog. It certainly is an inspiring story. You have a beautiful family. Happy New Year!

Leslie said...

Much to my extended family's chagrin, we've never done the Santa thing in our house. We told the kids that Santa was like Mickey Mouse, an enjoyable story. Its served us well over the years and I don't feel like we "robbed" the kids of anything. We've always tried to place the focus on the reason for the season, but inevitably it gets overshadowed by the material aspect (even without Santa!). I was afraid that this year would set a tone for Kristina and so I begged family to tone down the gift giving. It was a modest Christmas, but even that was overstimulating for her. We're working on it! Our goal is to remind them that every good and perfect gift comes from above!

Unknown said...

I think Santa is part of the magic of Christmas for children. There are plenty of ways to teach gratitude without eliminating Santa. I had a wonderful childhood and believed in Santa, and still cherish my Christmas memories as a child. As an adult, I can appreciate what my parents did for me,and a small part of that was Santa. I still knew the difference between Santa, and the reality of the miracle of the birth of Jesus. Faith flourishes in the garden of gratitude. Thanks Mom & Dad!
Kelly Fisher Cappetta

Jamie Taggart said...

No, please do not take Santa away Jim. For a short period of time in a childs life there is this mystical creature and all the good, fuzzy feelings you get on Christmas eve. Once its gone, its gone. It all depends on how you and your family treat the topic and the most important reason for Christmas. I can remember when I was a little girl and mom and dad would take us to church on Christmas eve and we would light those candles and sing songs. I felt close to God and then when we got home all the magical feelings of Santa would come over me. Those are wonderful memories Jim and if you look deep inside you will remember it too.Please do not take Santa away from Christian it will be gone before you know it. Believe me I know. Jared no longer believes.
I love you Jim,
Jamie

Ashley said...

For me personally, I do not do Santa with my children. I haven't always felt this way, but I have felt very convicted about it for a few years. My extended family does not agree. However, I do not tell others not to. So, I would never tell you what to do. This is a personal decision. I feel there shouldn't be an alternative. Society always turns a "religious" holiday into something else. Easter bunny (celebrating the ressurection), santa(celebrating the birth of Christ), rainbow is for gay pride (instead of a promise from God). These are just a few examples. I just don't feel we need an alternative to celebrating the birth of Christ. I do believe many Christians that have santa in their home still teach their children about Christ. But for us, that is the ONLY reason we celebrate Christmas. And we learn that a lie is a lie no matter what. No matter how small or how big, a little white lie, stretching the truth just a tiny bit, ect... we teach our children this, but we are lying to them about Santa. How can we teach them not to do it and yet we do? My children still have an imagination and love opening presents and nothing is "hidden".

C said...

I think, that as long as you're combining the use of Santa with the true meaning of Christmas - which I'm sure your family is, then it's ok.
Santa has history, and is magical to little kids. He's mysterious, and something to believe in. The fact that only young children believe in him, says something about their ability to imagine and create with their minds. Why destroy that?
As long as you're teaching about the true meaning behind Christmas, I don't think there's anything wrong with also embracing another tradition - after all, Santa comes from Santa Klaus - Saint Nicholas.