Saturday, January 26, 2008

Good Movies

It didn't take long to figure out that our daughter's did not learn much about history at the orphanage and much to their father's dismay, they showed no enthusiasm for my attempts to engage them about their own country's history, or any other historical topic. But they love movies, and we've seen some outstanding films portraying important moments in the 20th century, and this has been an effective means of getting them excited about history.

Here are three favorites:


Sophie Scholl is one of the powerful movies I've ever seen. It is the true story of a college-age German woman who demonstrates stunning moral courage in standing up to the Nazis. The end of movie somberly demonstates her Christian faith.





The story of the Rwandan genocide is something I've only been learning about in the past year. Like many Westerners, I had known something terrible happened somewhere in Africa in 1994, but I'm ashamed to say that it didn't have much effect. I've seen three movies that have awakened me to this modern holocaust and in my mind, Beyond the Gates is the best. The great John Hurt gives a memorable and believable portrayal of a Priest ministering to a group of doomed refugees.



Our daughters are one-quarter Jewish and they had never heard about the Holocaust! This 1970's movie stars Patricia Neal as the heroic Corrie Ten Boom and it has stood the test of time well. The Hiding Place is beautifully acted and haunting. I liked it particularly because it shows how Ten Boom faced a crisis of faith in unimaginably horrific circumstances. It is long, but gripping throughout.

5 comments:

junglemama said...

Thanks for the movie recommendations. We hardly get to watch them but when we have time, I'm always happy to have one in mind that I want to rent.

matthew christopher davidson said...

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your comment. My stuff is available on iTunes under my full name, and I will be sending CDBaby some more CDs within the next couple of months.

C said...

They've never heard of the Holocaust? Goodness. they're in for a bit of a shock!
I don't tknow what their readign level in English is, but I'd suggest that you have them read - or read with them - Anne Frank's Diary. It'd give them the point of view from a girl about their own age.
There's a lot of books out there (I should know,I went through an obsessive stage of reading them when I was about 12 or 13) thta would give them a very real perspective of what happened. They should be in touch with their Jewish part, and understand what that means - even if not in terms of religiously - in terms of survival.

Nataliya said...

Thank you again for the suggestions - I'll definitely make sure to watch these movies.

Anonymous said...

I saw your post on Christine's blog and wanted to stop by. You have a beautiful family!