Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Music Recommendation


We spend alot of time in the mini-van and until now, I thought it was impossible to keep everyone happy with music or books-on-tape selections.

Alas, I've made a wondrous discovery! It was risky given their general lack of enthusiasm for classical music, but I had read a good review of the Classical Kids CD series, and I grabbed Vivaldi's Ring of Mystery to sample.

The result is that it is a smash hit! - all three of our children, ages 6, 14, and 17 love it! They want to hear it every time they get in the car, and the bonus is, it is so well produced that I really like it too.

It's not your standard "teach your kids classical music" fare. Vivaldi's music is weaved throughout a story about a young orphan girl, who lives with other orphans at a school where all the children play instruments.

The story is fictional, but it drops in nuggets of truth and presents classical music in a unique and compelling way. This is something I can safely say is a good investment, and recommend highly. You can get the entire series on amazon for $35.

3 comments:

junglemama said...

Interesting. We usually listen to High School Musical songs. :)

Steve and Gail said...

Just ordered it. It sounds like a good thing for the 8 hour drive to Oklahoma to see our other daughters and grandkids. I'm sure it will arrive before we get home.

Annie said...

How timely! I was just thinking we needed something just like this. I am a great fan of public radio, but the children are not; in fact, when I was trying to teach Sergei the meaning of one of his vocabulary words, he finally lit up - "Oh! Like that radio you listen to?" The word? "Droning"
Anyway, we have about 4 CDs of Russian music and we've listened to them so much that I'm about sick of them. Thanks for the suggestion!