Thursday, June 28, 2007

Manly Men

After spending two hours at a Russian banya with these men, I think I can say I have real friends in Ukraine. After all, I don't think you hang out at a banya with just anybody! The incredible part is that earlier today I had pulled out my Bradt Travel Guide and read all about the banya experience. I thought it would be pretty cool, but didn't want to go alone. Then only an hour or two later, our interpreter Alyona called and asked if I would like to go to the banya with her boyfriend Slava to celebrate his father's birthday! Unbelievable!!! Of course I was rarin to go, and I write this posting as a thoroughly relaxed man! Making it even better was that Slava's younger brother Anatoly joined us along with his friend Maxim, both who speak fluent English.

The banya is what we call the sauna, but in Ukraine and Russia, it is a multi-hour experience, shared by friends. Slava has served as our main driver for most of our stay, and he and I hit it off from the first day. Christian couldn't wait to see him every day and would run up to him and say "Slava my man!" This was Slava's treat for me, and it was unforgettable. Your wear the sporty wool hat when you go into the dry "Russian" sauna only. This banya also had a Turkish (wet) banya, for which you must remove the hat. The banya also differs from ours in that they use fragrant oils in the steam, and when you come out of the heat, you jump right into a cold pool! You can also choose to have an ice cold bucket of water dumped on your head. Then you repeat the process of banya/bath/banya for as many times as you like. Slava also arranged for me to have an oakleaf massage. They use two huge clusters of oak branches saturated in oil, and an attendant vigorously applies the hot leaves all over. This may be the best cure for a back ache ever invented. Afterwards, we all retired to the lounge room where beer, tea and other beverages are served. Experiencing this was another reminder of how much Dana and I have learned from Ukrainians, who place a high value on friendship.


Methods vary in the winter on how the cool-down is achieved!



The ultimate in father-son bonding!



I am never going to forget these men who I am especially honored to call my friends: (L-R) Anatoly, Maxim, Valeriy and Slava. Slava said he would be happy to come to Virginia and build a banya for us. I think we would need fewer anti-depressants if we had them all over America!

3 comments:

Mike and Deb said...

Sounds like something you and Mike will need to do next month....and don't forget the hat Jim.

Leslie said...

I laughed so hard redaing this post! Talk about embracing the Ukrainian way of life! You kill me, Jim! Every post makes us more and more excited about traveling!

adoptedthree said...

Okay I give
Frankly I thought the salt springs spas in Odessa with all of the babushkas and dadushkas were scary and I sat on the side in my OSU sweatshirt. But this just relieves the torment
Thanks!