Thursday, June 21, 2007

Beautiful Odessa

Update: the ten day waiting period ends today (Friday)! It's another one of the big markers that all families adopting in Ukraine anticipate. Of course it wouldn't be international adoption if we didn't have more red tape to navigate through, which means we won't be returning until next week. Dana and Christian will likely fly out of Odessa in the middle of next week, while the girls and I return to Kyiv to get their US passports at the American Embassy. So their homecoming won't take place until next weekend at the earliest. We're not complaining about the extra time though, because we absolutely love the envigorating and fascinating city of Odessa!

Today my youngest two children and I walked (you walk everywhere here) to what has become one of my all-time favorite restaurants. The Odesskya Boulevard Restaurant overlooking the Black Sea epitomizes the laid-back style of this resort city with excellent Ukrainian dishes and outdoor seating that rivals Paris!

A big bowl of Borsch cost $3 and is quite filling along with a slice or two of bread. As we discovered in Moscow, there's nothing better than a hot bowl of Borsch in the winter, which is much tastier than it looks!

For a touristy joint, the service is very friendly, but don't expect to ever sit down to a quick meal. They just don't understand the concept of lunch "hour."

I am not kidding about the comparisons to Paris. Much of downtown Odessa is even more beautiful!

The city was built (only 200 years ago) by French and Italian architects.


This is where to come to see the locals - the funky Sobornaya Square Park. It's one of the most unusual places I've ever experienced and I never tire of coming to just hang out.

Unlike the more touristy places, true artisans display their work here.


This is the place to come for good quality, handmade Ukranian stuff.

Everything happens in the shadows of the stunning Orthodox Church of the Transfiguration.

I sat under this Icon of Christ for more than an hour just watching people pass by.

The faithful stop right in their tracks, turn toward Christ, and cross themselves. This woman prayed outloud for several minutes. It is a scene that is repeated dozens of times throughout the day.

While I was sitting all alone, I had a bizarre and hilarious experience that I'll probably never figure out. You are warned by everyone to never mess with the cops in Ukraine, and to never try to take their picture. So, I was a little worried when this officer approached, prompting me to fumble for my passport. But he started showing me that he wanted me to take his picture. He took a few steps away and turned, and I happily obliged. Then I showed it to him, and let him know I thought it was a lousy shot....

Since he was now my buddy, I demonstrated how he needed to walk and try to look more natural. I had him go back and forth a few times snapping off several frames, finally deciding this shot looked OK, as onlookers observed the whole thing in amazement. He looked at the picture, said "cool" and just walked away!

I was so happy I didn't get detained that I paid double for these fresh cut flowers!

4 comments:

Nikki Bowie said...

SHMELLO!!!!
WOW!MORE COUSINS!!!!!WOOOOOOO!It's so great that the adoption was pretty quick!Mom and I are looking forward to seeing Dana and Christian next Sunday!We can't wait to see you and the girls again!Hopefuly we won't have to wait until like...Thanksgiving.Anywho.Keep out of trouble between now and like next week!Ahahahahaha!JJWY!
Luv ya bunches!
Natalie

Jamie Taggart said...

Hi All,
My favorite picture is of Jim and the lady with the scarf. That is a classic and desperately needs to be framed!!! That city is so beautiful and when i look at the pictures it is hard to imagine all the suffering that goes on. Everyday I cannot wait to pull up the blog and see the pictures and read about your adventures. I have showed it to so many people. Anyway, love to all.
Jamie

Nataliya said...

Oh my goodness, you made my day again :) It's so cool to see the sights from my childhood! Such a nice picture of Galya and Christian at the restaurant! And the cop story is hilarious! I'm sorry you can't go home early next week, but looks like you are truly enjoying your stay in Odessa!

Floyd Whatley said...

Jim, I just can't see you just "hanging out." You cover the territory with exquisite photos ... wonderful travelogian (my own word) comments ... with such charming people and critters.
Ihave a feeling Ukraine is in your blood. Can't wait to get a complete (as if that is possible) debriefing upon your return. We love you all many muches! Floyd and Mom