Monday, June 11, 2007

Building a Family


It happened today. A day earlier than expected, without much notice and without appropriate attire - we drove down to the courthouse and within a matter of minutes became a family of five. More than that - we (Jim and I) became parents of two teenage, non-English speaking, lovely, sweet, frustrating, strong-willed, Ukrainian sisters!

This picture was taken immediately after we left the courtroom. The judge was a handsome, 40ish man who wore casual slacks and a short-sleeved button down shirt (no tie). He had a charming and kind demeanor. The proceeding lasted no more than 10 or 12 minutes, but he made us feel at ease and even had us laughing. When Jim told him he was born in Texas, the judge asked him where his gun and holster was. As we left the courtroom, he gave Christian a high-five!



This is a picture of the courthouse. It was slightly less formal than we are used to in America. Not only did they sell candy and soda on the first floor, they sold beer! I resisted the urge to imbibe before court, but given the magnitude of what was happening, I may not have held back if they had sold wine.


This shot was taken before we went into the courthouse. Amazing that in just a few short minutes I would officially be the Mother to these two girls. (Although it is not completely official until after the 10 day waiting period.)


Here we go....

I wanted the girls to understand and appreciate the significance of this event. I am telling them (as Alyona, our lovely interpreter was translating) here how honored and touched I am that they want me to be their Mom.


This shot was taken outside shortly after court. The sun was shining, it was very hot and not everyone was entirely happy about taking another photo. Such is life. While I would really like to say that today was a joyous day, what surprised me most was how unemotional and anticlimactic it was. Not that it wasn't significant or important or even life-changing. It was and it is. And I am a very emotional person. But I was caught off guard by how matter-of-fact the whole affair was. Perhaps after a year and a half of waiting and working to make this happen - we are a bit drained emotionally. Or perhaps it was because we have been through this before with our Russian son. More likely however, we are reacting, like so many who have adopted before us, to the reality that we are in this for life and that it is not always pretty.

What we have learned is that although these tenacious kids can be sweet and loving, they're also frequently inflexible and ungrateful. From our experience, but mostly from sharing the stories of others who have gone before us, we have learned that they have never been taught how to respect others or control their emotions; they have never learned how to edit their thoughts or control their actions. Pouting is their automatic response to just about anything that doesn't go their way. They have been in pure survival mode for most of their precious young lives and have never learned the simple courtesies and manners we take for granted.

And so my goal is to teach these kids some basic skills that will help them be successful adults in America. This is no small task. There is a lot to learn and not much time to do it given their ages. I want to value every minute we have. I want to watch girlie movies and eat popcorn with them. I want to play games together and shop and talk and laugh with them - with my new daughters. But more importantly I want to share my hope, my faith, my values and my joy with them. I don't know if they will get it but I will try. At the very least I want them to learn to love themselves and realize that they have value in this world and that they matter. Not only to each other, or to Jim and me, but to the world at large. That they have a place here - just as much as any of us does.

15 comments:

Laura said...

Hooray! I was close to tears when I first read that you have become a family...officially! I'm sure you are all emotionally drained. What an ordeal...I know it won't always be easy, but you all are incredible role models for Nastia and Galyna. Please let them know they have a lot of people back home who already care about them and can't wait to be part of their lives! I love you all...

Jamie Taggart said...

Wow!!!! What a day you all have had. I am happy for the new family of 5.The challenges will be good and sometimes not so good. The one thing I have learned from my boy's is that you can never tell them you love them too much and allow them to express their thoughts and feelings.With that advise I will say bye for now and tell them they have an Aunt Jamie and she loves to go shopping and do girl stuff.My next trip will be tho see you all.
All my love
Jamie

Jamie Taggart said...

Jim,
By the way it is very cool that the adoption came through on Jared's 10th birthday. He will like that.
love ya,
Jamie

The O'Haras said...

Praise be to God! We serve an awesome God and we should not doubt what He can do. Safe journeys over the next couple of days now that this hurdle is passed!

Jessie said...

Oh Dana I am so happy for you guys! I can't wait for you to come home and bring my new cousins. I love you all so much and!

Leslie said...

Congratulations, Hale 5! Now you sound like a boyband!

Mike and Deb said...

Dana - What a wonderful surprise and a great day! I am so happy for you and so grateful that this process has been relatively smooth so far. You know, American born and raised kids are sometimes ungrateful, pout and are unappreciative. I'll help you out with that part of the parenting. And I can contest that girlie movies are the best with your girl and a big bag of popcorn (which some of us really don't need to eat). Now the truly hard work begins, but the opportunity to watch your children blossom before your eyes and demonstrate the lessons you have taught them is well worth the effort. Congratulations! Debbie

The Schweickerts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Schweickerts said...

Congratulations to all of you!
We have been following your blog and are not sure exactly how we found it! We resonate with many of your experiences and feeling before and during your adoption process. We adopted our two boys (Elliott - age 16 and Nicky - age 12)at the end of 2006. We live in Williamsburg, VA. Please let us know if you need anything or would like to get together sometime.
May God continue to grant you favor and blessings on the rest of your journey.
Dave & Kathie Schweickert
www.ukraineadoption-dave.blogspot.com
kschweickert@cox.net

D&TMarra said...

Congratulations to you guys. We are elated at the great news. Our Christian really likes seeing the pictures of his old Krasnogorsk roommate. He kept asking if he was going to see you'll at the International Adoption Picnic. Anyway, we can't wait to meet the girls and give Christian a big hug. We will keep praying for you during the mandatory 10 days waiting period.

Darius, Tracy, Christian, Whitney and Natalia

Maggie said...

Congratulations on your successful adoption of you new daughters!! Jim & Dana, I am so happy for you both, you have worked so hard to bring the girls into your family!

They will bring you much love & Joy! and some challenges, too, that will help you all grow together as a family!

love & blessings,
Maggie

Unknown said...

Bravo Jim & Dana!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see everyone this summer!
Love you all,
Kelly & David Cappetta

AmyVP said...

Hales,

Congratulations! The family already looks so natural (no adoption here) ...so beautiful.

I love the contrast of the photos, one of the famiy right after court (so relieved and happy) and one outside once you hit the heat (already less than spontaneously happy). The photos are kinda symbolic, huh? (also so reassuring that my family is normal). I'm so impressed that you included the reality of the day. Truth balanced with hope is so refreshing.

Great goals Dana! May you never be discouraged by the bumps, may you see the end in your heart as you go day to day. May the Lord continue to give you his supernatural wisdom and knowledge so you can really see these girls through the eyes of the Lord and love them with his everlasting love.

Love to you all!

Chris, Karen, & Donovan said...

I almost wrote that I did not know what was more remarkable, the touching entry and photos from before and after the ceremony, or the two (excuse me, Christian, three) of you for continuing to share your lives with others. The answer... the three of you! I was truly moved by your experience today and anxiously look forward to the five of you returning "home" to celebrate and settle in. We continue to be inspired by you.

Tom Hale said...

Congratulations! I can't begin to tell you you guys how happy I am for all of you! Your courage, love, and tenacity in getting this completed is an inspiration! I'll see you guys in Richmond soon!!!!